Work-Able 12 Month Paid BC Public Service Work Experience
Work-Able is a 12-month, paid BC Public Service work experience program for recent post-secondary graduates with disabilities. This unique program provides learning, coaching and mentorship throughout the internship. Interns gain valuable skills and public service experience.
What do interns gain from participating in Work-Able?
• Increased understanding of public service roles in the provincial government
• Increased knowledge, skills, abilities and experience
• Mentoring, coaching and support throughout their internship
• Possible future employment opportunities in the provincial government
What does Work-Able provide for supervisors?
• Worksite assessment for accessibility
• Support for selection and hiring of qualified Work-Able interns
• Funding for assessment, equipment and coordination of available accommodation supports (such as ergonomic desks, software, larger screens, interpretive services)
• Monitoring of program quality and consistency across government
• Direct support to supervisors and mentors throughout internship
• Co-ordination of intern orientation and a thank you ceremony at the end of the 12-month internship
• Assistance in identifying intern learning needs and performance management
• Ongoing program support, structure and development
Apply for a Work-Able Internship
Timelines 2017 – 2018
• March 2017 - April 2017: One posting for up to 15 positions
• May – August 2017: Screening
• September 2017 – August 2018: All interns hired for paid 12-month internship
To be eligible for this program, you must be
• A recent post-secondary graduate (within three years) with an undergraduate or graduate degree from a recognized institution
• An individual who self-identifies as a person with a disability
• A resident of British Columbia
• Legally entitled to work in Canada
• A selection committee will create a shortlist from all received applications
• The interview panel including the ministry hiring manager, Work-Able program lead and others chosen by the hiring manager will interview candidates and make final selection
• Look to apply for Work-Able in March 2017
For further information: Odette Dantzer - Program Lead tel: 250 507-9256
All contents copyright ©, 1999-2018, National Educational |
Association of Disabled Students. All rights reserved.